This week we celebrate the birthday of probably my favourite artist, Wassily Kandinsky (16 December 1866).
As one of the precursors of Abstraction in Western art, member and founder of the German group “Der Blaue Reiter”, a teacher at the Bauhaus and art theorist, there are countless well written articles, museum entries, videos, books and all sorts of materials about Kandinsky covering his life and his career.
Today the idea is to give you seven options within these materials that you can access anytime and enjoy during this week!
If there’s anything that you would like to suggest, leave in the comments below.
The Kandinsky week:
A website packed with painting analysis, photos, biography, museums and location of artworks, books, quotes and more beautiful things.
- Experience the exhibition.
The Guggenheim Museum Bilbao is showing a big exhibition from its collection (the biggest in the US) until 21 May 2021.
You can see images from the galleries, behind the scenes of its installation, online talks and more.
- Explore the “Blaue Reiter” collection.
The Städtische Galerie/Lenbachhaus in Munich, Germany holds the biggest collection of the group, including a vast number of Kandinsky’s works.
- Watch Kandinsky draws in this rare video from 1926.
- Explore the Bauhaus years at the “Bauhaus Kooperation” website
- Learn about the relationship between Kandinsky’s art and music from “Listen in” YouTube channel.
- Read the art theory books Kandinsky wrote at the Internet Archive.
Have a wonderful week!